Translate

Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Theological Perspective of Stewardship, series 3


Tom Chow, 63B MM502PPHB
Fall 2013 - Session #4: Dr. Davis, A Theological Perspective of Stewardship
Reflection on Thoughts on Stewardship
            The first point that I observed and reflected on is that both Dr. Davis and Dr. Arthurs have cited the work of Christian Smith, Passing the Plate: Why American Christians Don’t Give Away More Money, in the introduction of their workshops. I was intrigued to find out the “reasons” that offered by the author. I was astonished and sad while seeing these lines from the book’s introduction, “Far from the 10 percent of one's income that tithing requires, American Christians' financial giving typically amounts, by some measures, to less than one percent of annual earnings. And a startling one out of five self-identified Christians gives nothing at all.” With the recommendation of our two speakers, I plan to read this book after seminary to know and help brothers and sisters who are in real struggles against the reasons of not giving more, i.e. the powerful allure of a mass-consumerist culture and its impact on Americans' priorities, parishioners' suspicions of waste and abuse by nonprofit administrators, clergy's hesitations to boldly ask for money, and the lack of structure and routine in the way most American Christians give away money.
            The second point that I reflected on is the Approaches to Stewardship. Dr. Davis categorized three models of fundraising: Direct-Negative, Direct-Positive, and Indirect-Positive. With a few incidents that I remember, organizations using the “crisis and guilt” to express their financial needs are usually facing natural disasters. Although it might make people feel pressured and obligated to donate I do not criticize such approach if the reason is legitimate. The value must be placed solely on humanity for the purpose of emergency relief, shelter, food, medication, and clothes, but not for the operational crisis, financial deficits, or impulsive vision. The direct-positive approach is based on biblical teaching on tithing and gratitude, in which I consider to be the foundation of giving and fundraising. I still believe tithing is a biblical mandate in the OT and NT and should be taught clearly in the church. The first time a tithe is referred to in Scripture is in Genesis 14:18-20; the tithe is first given as law in Leviticus 27:30-33; God also gives the reason for the tithe in Leviticus 27, and indeed many more passages in the Bible teaches about giving that should be taught in Direct-Positive manner. Lastly I agree with Dr. Davis that the ultimate approach to stewardship is to cast a biblical vision of a generous and gracious God through preaching, teaching, and telling of true stories. This I think is a long-term cultivation with a congregation that requires serious commitment and faithful practice. Surely, as a result it will be the “long run”, while the first approach that I would like to call it as the “short sight” and the second as the “slow flow”.
            The third point that I reflected on and shared with my partners is the first-fruit of practicing mindfulness on the vision revealed in Zephaniah. On top of every blessings that God has lavishly given me in 2012, I’m especially thankful for what God has revealed about Himself to me from Zephaniah 3:17:
1st That the LORD my God is-in-me (leading me in physical and spiritual warfare, battles after battles)

2nd That He is a mighty one who-will-save (from bondage of sins, personal weaknesses and shortcomings)

3rd That He will rejoice-over-me with gladness (shining and smiling to me at all times, good or bad)

4th That He will quiet-me-by-his-love (in reading, spiritual disciplines, direction, and solitude retreat)

5th That He will exult-over-me-with-loud-singing (I can’t thank for anything more than this- God likes me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment