Translate

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Stewardship in Reflect, written Before-seminary


This is the account of my experience, understanding, and envision of Stewardship, written Before-seminary.

Partnership Program Essays

Essay 1
I was involved in support-raising on behalf of Camp Herald Ministry from 2004 to 2006. It was one of the outreach services of Chinese Christian Herald Crusade. As a camp staff, I raised support for prayer, financial, and workers. The support-raising took place throughout the year at different local churches and fellowships on campuses. The purpose for my participation in the support-raising was to have sufficient funding for the ministry expenses, such as paying staff compensations, campsite rental, insurance, food, transportation, etc.
The degree of success I experienced in gathering a support team was quite positive. With generous pledges and special offerings, Camp Herald has received sufficient financial support every year. The fund was particularly allocated to lower the camp fees for low income or new Chinese immigrant families, and it has been in faithful service for the past fifteen years.
As I graduated from college in 2008, I have shifted my role from a summer camp staff to a camp participant. However, I believe that the support team has continued to pray, give, and send workers to Camp Herald. My home church and especially the youth ministry is still supporting, sending out workers, and praying for the camp ministry.
To conclude, I wish to share the latest good news from Camp Herald ministry. With the faithfulness of God and support of His people, Camp Herald has just renewed its 10 years contract to provide affordable service to many needed families and youth campers. In addition, one of my 16-years-old youth small group members will be volunteering at Camp Herald beginning this summer. To God be all the glory!       

Essay 2
            My understanding of the biblical support-raising is rooted with these three words: Promise, Provision, and Partnership. In Old Testament, God promises portion to the Priesthood and Levites through the Israelites’ offerings and tithes. In New Testament, God provides the needs of Jesus, His twelve disciples, and later the evangelists through the devoted followers and church partnership.  
            Support-raising is based on Promise of God that workers must regard it as holy. (Numbers 18:8-24)
The Lord said to Aaron, “I myself have put you in charge of the offerings presented to me; all the holy offerings the Israelites give me I give to you and your sons as your portion…” (v.8) Supporting-raising does not only promised by God, but in fact initiated by God.  Instead of understanding this passage from support-raising prospective, it reminds me that it is God’s support-giving, solely by grace.  “Eat it as something most holy; every male shall eat it. You must regard it as holy.” (v.10) God commands that whoever serves in the tent of the meeting must be holy. Since all things come from God and are placed into our hands through people’s sacrifice, we must receive it with humble, fearful, and grateful heart.             
            Support-raising is based on Provision that workers must live and serve worthy of the calling. (Matthew 10:10, Mark 1:18, and Luke 8:3)
            Once Jesus and his disciples entered full-time ministry, they lived by the provision of a group of devoted women. When Jesus sent his disciples to preach the kingdom of God he said, “Take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep” (Mat.10:10). Paul also defended this practice by saying, “who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes…” (1Cor.9:7-10). It is biblical and common for full-time workers to live by the provision from others because they are called to serve God wholeheartedly and have abandoned their possessions. Tent-making, in contrast, is a special situation. Paul reserves his right to receive financial support from Corinthians because he does not want to use up his authority to cause anyone stubble. Paul also intends to set an example for the Thessalonians to work with their own hands. Still, living with provision is the way God intents for His servants in the biblical time as well as today.  
Support-raising is based on the partnership that both the givers and workers contribute to the kingdom of God together with joy.
The partnership between the Philippians and Paul is an eminent one. It is very touched to see their strong gratitude to each other. With thankfulness beyond words Paul says, “I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now” (Phi.1:5). “You sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account” (4:16-17). Over the years, I remember more three pastors preached with this great example to exhort thanksgiving heart, loving relationship, and sacrificial giving.  Philippians’ partnership in fact helps me to recall the scene that King David sacrificed the water to the Lord where his servants risked their lives to get for him during the battle of Rephiam.
              As I study the meaning of biblical support-raising, I receive a book recommendation from Friday AM, Funding your Ministry by Scott Morton.  What he teaches in his book is very true and practical, “Let’s be biblical. Don’t buy a book on money or fundraising until you’ve spent a good 20 hours in your own personal Bible study on these topics.”

Reference on Support-raising:
Funding your Ministry by Scott Morton, Dawson Media, (July 1, 1999)

Essay 3
When I first heard of the Partnership Program I had this in my mind, “wow, thanks God! It really eases much of my worries and anxieties about paying for seminary.” However, there were confusion and guilt that came afterward. I was so excited to start the application process right after obtaining the Partnership package at the Spring Reception event. I had the three recommendations done, but then my confusion came. I spent way too long to study the biblical rationale for support-raising, and until now to gather my thoughts into essays. I asked myself, “What takes you so long to finish?” The countless paper-workload as a new teacher? Exhausting from my hundred-and-fifties teenage students? The part-time I shouldn’t have worked for? Or the Wedding Preparation? Church Involvements? Family responsibility?  Then my guilt came. I blamed myself having bad time-management, priority, and procrastination. After the confusion and guilt period, I realized and repented that I had not lift up the application process mindfully in prayer. Thanks still be to God, this delinquent experience helped me to reflect much deeper and truer to envision how the Partnership Program will in fact assist my future ministry and spiritual formation as a seminarian.
            Indeed if God will, receiving the Partnership Program will be a two-fold experience and blessing which I envision. It will be a valuable experience and training for me as a seminarian for these three years and for the long run as a minister for many years to come.  As it is sarcastically said in the Mentor Ministry orientation, “Jesus spent thirty years to prepare for three years ministry, but we wanted to spend three years to prepare for thirty years ministry.” In light of this fact, I firmly believe that the training and experience of the Partnership Program will be a lifelong lesson. I envision that by receiving Biblical, Theological and Historical training in stewardship, I will become more faithful and be disciplined to manage my time and money effectively.  I also envision that there will be great experience and learning through seminars, discussions, and participating in spiritual and discipleship mentoring. So in term of experience, I cannot envision beyond what is described by the witnesses I read from the brochure or what I can imagine now.
In term of blessing, I envision there will be fellowship in understanding among the partners: the seminary, the supporters, and myself in proclaiming the gospel. There will be fellowship in undergirding for each other with sustained prayer and financial support. Third, there will be fellowship in undergoing collective experience, good or bad, ups or down, in the life journey of partnership. Last, I believe that the Partnership Program will be a unbelievable blessing to the people of God as comparable to what is inscribed on the wall outside the Kaiser Chapel: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment