Translate

Monday, June 7, 2021

Teaching children the Decalogue

As I felt that my four-year-old son began to grasp the meaning of the Lord’s Prayer, I introduced the Decalogue (the Ten Commandments) to him with stories and in the simplest form so he can repeat after me. 
  1. One true God
  2. No Idols (he says his idols are tv, phone, iPad etc.)
  3. Respect God’s Name
  4. Keep the Sabbath Holy
  5. Honor Your Father and Mother
  6. Don’t fight 
  7. Don’t cheat
  8. Don’t steal 
  9. Don’t lie 
  10. Don’t envy  
I was surprised that he could pick up the series of “Don’t” after the fifth commandment. Living in a free country he honestly asked me, “why so many don’t?” I paused a little and gave him some “golden rule” examples to help him understand, let’s say if someone is angry should he hurt you, or should you put candy in your pocket from a grocery without paying or asking. 

Maybe he would only understand or obey in a small scale now, but hope that he will remember he has a father who loves him enough to teach him the Word of God. 

 “Start children off on the way they should go, 
and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”
(Proverbs 22:6 NIV)



No comments:

Post a Comment